Pokemon Go has been live and out for 1 year. Chip and Cern have been hunting those Pokemon for the entire year. Time for a recap and summary of the last year. Talking the new gym updates, special events and hunt for filling the Pokedex.
Chip and Cern have lost some steam after the Gen 2 release. They have pretty much resulted to just spinning the first stop of the day to get the bonus and catching the first mon to get the catch bonus.
At the end of June Pokemon Go updated the gyms, fighting systems and added a few new features. In the old ways of the gym battling systems these maxed out level gyms would rule the roost and it was nearly impossible to take down solo. This really broke Chip and Cern’s spirits to play the gyms, which resulted in the lack of game play.
Some of the new updates to the gyms are:
- Gyms can now be spinned for item rewards, similar to PokéStops
- Gyms will now feature six permanent slots that can be filled by the controlling team’s Pokémon, and opposing teams will battle Pokémon in the order they were assigned to the Gym.
- Trainers will receive Gym Badges are rewards for fighting at the Gym
- Gym Defenders will lose motivation over time and when being defeated
- Gym Defenders require Berry upkeep
- Trainers will have the opportunity to virtually team up with others nearby and work together to defeat extremely powerful Pokémon known as Raid Bosses.
- Before a Raid Battle begins, all Pokémon assigned to the Gym will return to their Trainers, and a large Egg will appear atop the Gym. When the countdown above the Egg reaches zero, the Raid Boss will be revealed.
- Raid Boss rewards include: Rare Candies, Golden Razz Berries, and two types of Technical Machines—Fast and Charged
- Raids have a 20 Player Limit and 5 Minute timer
- Friends can also create Private Raid groups via a customizable code system that allows Trainers to invite their friends to a specific Raid group.
- Technical Machines are items you can use to permanently teach a Pokémon a new Fast Attack or Charged Attack.
The new gym system is a big improvement in Chip and Cern’s view. They are playing a lot more and the gym battling has really improved.
For the new Raids feature it is pretty cool idea, but it is tough to get the amount of people needed to beat the big Pokemon. In the suburbs it is tough to find the 8 people or so that are needed to take it down.
Pokemon Go offered up a “Gift Box” special for 1200 coins during the 1 year anniversary. Chip and Cern did some math on this and it is a fucking rip off and not worth any value. Cern reads some funny tweets that people blasted Pokemon Go with during the event.
Chip and Cern speculate about what Pokemon Go could have done to make the 1 year anniversary a little better than the dud it was.
Be sure to spread the word around and tell your friends about the Chip and Cern Show. The radio is dying and podcasts are coming, so be ready. You can plug your phone into your car and listen when driving around. If you feel like supporting the show with some of your hard earned money check out Patreon.
If you wanting a free sticker, shoot an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will give you one. Thanks again to Michael Spiegel Design for the great logo he did an awesome job at our logo design.
As always we appreciate you spreading the word with your friends, coworkers, family and churchgoing community members. The Hits v1, The Hits v2, The Hits v3 and v4 are a great into to the Chip and Cern Show, so share those!